- 1lb spinach leaves (discard the stems)
- 6 tablespoons white sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons water
- toast the sesame seeds in a dry wok until they are medium to dark brown.
- smash the toasted seeds in a mortar until they are mostly smashed.
- Add sugar, soy sauce and water and mix.
- peel off the stems of the spinach and cook the leaves quickly in water until soft. take the cooked spinach and smash it in with the sesame paste, you may have to do it in batches. smash the leaves so they absorb the flavour. this dish is best served cold with a sprinkle of fresh sesame seeds on top.
makes enough for about 2 or 3 small dishes.